Monday, May 17, 2010

first day at AVEO

Contrary to my expectation, the first day was pretty relaxing. I got to Cambridge at 8:30 in the morning bright and early! The actual orientation didn't start until 10 so I walked around and explored the neighborhood. Cambridge is gorgeous, the place has an urban vibe to it but it's still peaceful enough that you get to see old couples holding hands and taking their morning strolls in the park (which I have to say, is the most adorable thing in the world). I'll be sure to bring my camera next time to capture the wonderful scenery.

As to be expected, I got lost inside the building, but the nice janitor man showed me to the receptionist. So, they didn't have alot of work for me the first day. They went through the basics such as computer/email/finance. Then, my supervisor, Feng, took me out to lunch at a Chinese restaurant. This was my first time having a "professional" one-on-one lunch with an adult, and I thought it was going to another one of those awkward and silent lunch since he seems like he is as introverted as me, but we did sustain a couple of interesting conversations about medical schools and Pittsburgh sports teams. After that, he gave me a bunch of the company's publications to read, which kept me busy for the next three hours. Reading bio research publications is ridiculously exhaustive, but I have to say, I'm very thankful for taking Berget's (Yes, thank you Dr. Berget) and Campbell's class because when I came across familiar terms like p53, fibromatosis, dysplasia and knock-out genes I felt semi-intelligent despite the rest of the publication not making any sense. It's a boost of self-confidence at least.

Tomorrow is lab training day! Yay for chem safety all over again. And if you don't recall/have never seen those.....
Thankfully, they'll be walking through lab safety in person instead of making us watch videos.

Also, I'll probably be working with the mice tomorrow! So exciting! Feng told me there are 120 of them that need to be injected with tumors. Poor mice :(

On a different note. I don't know why this blog is called summer '13 adventure when it is clearly not 2013 yet, I must been thinking about the class of 2013. Silly me. Time to change that.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I remember that chem safety vid. Best part of chem class all year. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I was going to ask you about the title XP.

    ReplyDelete